Budgies can be fantastic animals to keep because they are cheerful, happy, small and friendly. Like all pet birds, budgies will need a budgie cage that is a suitable size and is constructed in the correct way. There are hundreds of different bird cages out there and choosing one suitable for budgies can be a bit tricky so read on to find out more about how to choose the best bird cage.
Choosing a Budgie Cage
- Budgies are quite small birds but are also quite active so they a budgie cage that is large enough to allow them to move around a lot. When choosing bird cages for budgies, width is more important than the height of the bird cage so you should aim for a budgie cage that is at least 20” wide, 12” deep and 12” high. However, you should buy the largest budgie cage you can afford.
- The spacing of the bars on the budgie is very important because if they are too far apart, budgies can fit their head through and possibly cause injury. A maximum of 1/2” is a good rough guide. Horizontal bars on a budgie cage will allow the budgies to climb.
- The construction and finish of a budgie cage is also very important. Powder coated bird cages are well priced and durable, as are brass bird cages. The best type of bird cage is one that is made out of stainless steel as they are very durable and easy to clean. You should never buy a painted, wooden or plastic budgie cage as it will get destroyed very quickly by budgies.
- The ability to clean a budgie cage easily is quite important so consider this when you are buying bird cages. A bird cage with a plastic bottom should be avoided because of the potential for mould. Bird cages with built in stands can be very useful, especially if they have casters on them to move the bird cage around easily.
- Budgies are quite clever birds so you need to ensure that the latch mechanisms on the bird cages are secure enough to prevent the budgie escaping. A budgie cage can be quite expensive to buy so it may be a good idea to look for used bird cages for sale. Buying a used budgie cage could save you money which can be spent on other things for budgies such as food and toys.