The world of pigeon racing is extremely competitive, so if you really want to succeed in this hobby, your best chances rest with your decision making at the buying stage. If you’re considering pigeons for sale, it’s important to analyse each bird closely to establish physical attributes.
Learn more about how to choose racing pigeons in the guide below.
Racing Pigeons: How to Choose Between Pigeons For Sale
1. The best way to determine whether a pigeon for sale is appropriate for racing is to hold the pigeon in one hand and examine the body shape and movement of the bird. Although you will never be able to completely determine whether a pigeon is suited to racing, the initial buying stage can reveal plenty of observations.
2. For instance, you’ll get an instant impression of the bird’s state of health. To evaluate this, it’s important to scrutinise the plumage. Are the bird’s feathers healthy, silky and intact? This can often be a sign of good breeding and suggests the bird is more than equipped to deal with the physical demands of the sport of racing pigeons.
3. Study the body shape of the bird very closely, as this can often reveal whether a pigeon for sale has the physical attributes to succeed as a racer. For instance, a streamlined body shape, powerful wings, a healthy-looking bone structure and an active reaction to your touch can all be positive signs that a bird has racing potential. If you want to learn about breeding fancy pigeons, click the link provided.
4. The importance of good feathering cannot be understated – this factor above all other will influence the abilities of racing pigeons. Occasionally, pigeons for sale may have dry, ruffled feathers, something which is not desirable for birds within this category.
5. However, the only way you’ll really be able to tell if racing pigeons are cut out to become champions is after early training. Study any fitness developments,feeding quirks and the homing instincts of racing pigeons, and you will soon be able to gauge whether a bird has real racing talent.
Find racing pigeons for sale on Bird Trader