Thinking of building a budgie cage to save money? It is possible to build a bird cage from scratch and it isn’t too difficult either! There is no reason why home made budgie cages would be any worse than a budgie cage you had bought from a pet shop.
Making a budgie cage at home has its advantages, it is cheaper and it is custom made so you can make it exactly how you want it. If you are really interested in building a budgie cage then this article will help you with some tips.
Building a Budgie Cage – Top Tips
- - Because budgies are flock animals they like to have enough space that they can fly freely around with others their own kind.
- - When you are building a budgie cage you will need to think about whether you want an indoor or outdoor budgie cage.
- - Next you will need to think about the type of flooring you want for your bird cage. Ceramic tiles are the best as you can easily wash them; lino is also an excellent flooring choice for the same reasons.
- - If you are building outdoor budgie cages then you can use a thick layer of large grade gravel. Concrete is also a good solid flooring for an outdoor budgie cage which can easily be hosed down.
- - Metal covered wood is the best material you can use for building the frame of budgie cages. This material is strong and prevents the birds from gnawing through the frame.
- - Budgie cages need to be made of strong wire because budgies like to climb up the inside of the wire mesh.
- - Powder coated steel wire is the best for making budgie cages. Budgies like to chew things but you can be certain that this wire will be strong enough and not poison the budgie.
Browse budgies for sale on Bird Trader.