Top tips for keeping chickens
Top Tips for Keeping Chickens
Have you ever wondered how to keep chickens? There are a few simple rules that you can follow to get happy chickens that produce lots of nice eggs.
1. Chickens need plenty of space to roam otherwise they will start to rip up the ground instead of just combing for food. The more room that the hens have the happier they will be.
2. You should keep at least two hens because they are sociable animals and they need the safety of a pack to feel secure.
3. You need to set up a nesting box in a sheltered are of the yard and fill it halfway with shavings or hay. There should be at least one nesting box between four hens however some hens may find a different spot which they prefer. You should never try to force a hen to a nest in a box that it does not want to.
4. If you are keeping chickens you must make sure that they have access to dirt in the yard so that they can take dust baths which coat their skin and keep off mites.
5. You must feed your chickens twice a day or provide them with automatic feeders.
6. Another important part of chicken keeping is to provide a safe place for them to roost at night. They will want to roost at about dusk so they will need a safe place away from predators to shelter for the night.