Making a Hen House
Thinking of making a hen house but are not sure how to go about it? If so then you might find this article useful as it will explain how to build a hen house and what to include.
When you build a hen house you have to think first and foremost about the birds. Hens get more than a bit disgruntled when they get damp or wet, being cold and wet also makes them susceptible to disease. Hens should always be provided with a roof over their heads and a safe and secure hen house to keep the foxes away.
What to Consider When Building a Hen House
- You might want to think about automatic watering. It is incredibly important that your chickens have access to clean and fresh water daily.
- Automatic food dispensers are also a good addition to make to your hen house. A specific amount of food will be dispensed from the feeder each day so that your chickens will never be short of something to eat in their hen house.
- Providing electricity is important if you are trying to breed chickens in the hen house. Your hen house plans should allow enough light into the house so that you trick your chickens into laying eggs all year round.
- Security is another major consideration when building a hen house. You need to make sure that the hens are completely enclosed by strong wire to stop predators from getting in. Not only do you want to prevent foxes getting in but you want to stop wild birds and rodents from entering because they can spread disease.
- When making your hen house plans you should consider the different seasons. You will need to make sure that your hens have some shade in the summer and wind barriers for when there is a storm or driving rain.
Browse hen houses for sale on Bird Trader.