How to Recognise Chicken Breeds
There are a number of different chicken breeds that are all split into three categories depending on whether they are used for egg laying, meat or both. When thinking about chickens for sale as pets they will still fall into these categories. However, it can be tricky figuring how the different chicken breeds when you have several types in chicken coops.
• First, look at the style and the colour of the feathers as the different kinds have varying types of plumage. The length of tail feathers is a good indicator of different chickens for sale too.
• Inspect the colour of the eggs when keeping chickens to see any difference. White eggs are produced by chickens with white earlobes, while brown eggs come from those with red or brown lobes. There are even some chicken breeds like the Araucana which lay blue or green eggs.
• When keeping chickens that you are not sure of, find out what the common breeds are in your area.
• Males will have larger combs on their heads than females.
• The wattle underneath the chicken’s chin is also a good indicator. Most have single wattles, but rose wattles split into two parts.
• Take a look at the size of the birds in your chicken coops. Meat birds will be meatier and weigh more. Egg layers will not be as large.
• View images of all the different chicken breeds.