How to look after a lost pigeon
Pigeons are incredible birds. Often hated by others, they are incredible birds with extraordinary talents such as homing in the case of helping the British army in the Second World War. Therefore it is only fair that we published a guide on what to do to try and help a pigeon that has gotten lost. Plus the instructions below are not difficult and you should feel better after helping a pigeon’s life.
- First of all you should provide shelter to your pigeon. Provide it with something like a cardboard box to put it in to rest. If it has crashed into your window then this is very important. Cover the box with a blanket or something for a few hours so it can rest and recover in the dark.
- Determine whether or not the pigeon is owned or a wild one. A lot of people race pigeons and often they race them over far too long distances. It is not uncommon for a pigeon to become exhuasted and collapse. If it is owned by a human then it should have a little collar around one of its legs with information. If there is any information you can then contact the owner. If it is wild then it will have nothing.
- You should also provide food and water. Food can be purchased from a pet store or if not, then you can give it some bread. The bread should be dry as it damp; it can get stuck in the throat. Specialist pigeon food is recommended over bread though. Pigeons love fresh water and without it the pigeon could be dehydrated which is a hazard.
- Keep your pigeon in a room with a natural temperature. You do not want to keep it in a room where the heating is on and likewise it is not recommended to keep it in a room that has air conditioning.
- If you notice that your pigeon is acting strangely, or something is odd then you should seek a professional vets help. Likewise if there is any sort of blood that is coming from its body then it will need proper help as well. A vet will understand and know what needs doing and they are the best place to take it.
Only once the pigeon can fly perfectly should you let them out into the wild. If not you are going to cause harm as a pigeon that can’t fly is not a healthy pigeon.