Caring for Finches
If you are thinking about buying finches then this guide will help you with some information on how to care for Finches.
How to Care for Finches – Top Tips
- You should provide finches with an enclosure which is well protected and allows full flight.
- It is a good idea to put some vegetation inside the enclosure so that less dominant birds have places to hide and feel safe.
- You should avoid introducing new birds into established groups of finches because they might not react well.
- You should consider clipping the wings or removing particularly aggressive finches.
- You should feed your finches high quality fresh food formulated for finches.
- Always provide your finches with clean and fresh water.
- If you want to maximise activity in a healthy bird then you should remove and replace food and water containers twice a day.
- Do not over supplement a finches’ diet with vitamins and minerals.
- Avoid spraying any insecticides inside the house.
- Make sure you prevent your finches from gaining access to ceiling fans, hot oil, tobacco and cigarette smoke, chocolate, avocado and alcohol.
- You should also avoid using plug in air fresheners and heavily scented candles.
Housing Finches – A Guide
- You should make a finches’ enclosure as large as you can.
- The cage or aviary should be kept clean, be secure and safe.
- You should construct or buy a cage that is made from a durable, non toxic material; you should avoid zinc.
- The cage should be constructed of a fine gauge wire if you are going to keep the aviary outside.
- You should use tree branches to make multiple perches inside the cage.
- Provide multiple feeding locations and possible nesting sites for your finches.
- Avoid placing perches directly above food containers.
Browse Finches for sale on Bird Trader.