Top 10 Facts about Macaw Parrots
You may have seen macaw parrots for sale on Bird Trader and wondered whether they would be suited to you as a pet. Well before you go ahead and buy macaw parrots, read our top ten facts about this beautiful, colourful bird, to make sure!
1. Macaws are native to the jungles of Central and South America.
2. Macaws have large, powerful beaks that can easily crack nuts and seeds.
3. They have dry scaly tongues that even have a bone inside them, so as to tap into fruits.
4. Macaws have toes with special grips on them enabling them to latch onto branches as well as to hold items.
5. Because they are social birds, macaws usually gather in flocks of about 10 to 30 individuals.
6. Some species of macaws can even mimic human speech.
7. Macaws usually mate for life.
8. There are 17 different species of macaw parrots. Many of these are endangered.
9. The most endangered types of macaws are hyacinth macaws, red-fronted macaws and blue-throated macaws.
10. The glaucus macaw is thought to already be extinct outside of captivity.