How to Redirect Negative Behaviour?
Redirecting Negative Behaviour through Training and by Providing an Enriched Environment:
* Foraging avoids destructive behaviours
* Teaching your parrot to talk will redirect their wild calling vocalizations into agreeable human talking.
* Provide fun "Activity Centres" to keep your bird challenged & entertained. "Treat & Popsicle Dispensers" are highly recommended by avian professionals. They enhance your bird's environment by challenging them and keep them entertained.
* Rotate toys frequently and introduce new toys regularly
* Leave the radio or the TV on - they love bird / nature videos
* Parrots enjoy audio tapes with bird / nature songs, or recordings of your bird or you talking
* Call and talk to the parrot via answering machine
* Locate your bird's cage near a window and attach a bird bath near or a window bird feeders to the outside of the window, where your bird will be able to watch the wild birds come and eat during the day
* Provide lots of willow, fruit tree, or birch branches
Source: Avian Web
by Dr. Jill M. Patt