Red kite found dead in North Yorkshire was poisoned with banned pesticides
According to BBC, “the red kite, which apparently died after feeding on a baby rabbit, was discovered on Lofthouse Moor.”
The test shown that the bird of prey “was killed by pesticides and also showed it had eaten rodents which had consumed common rat and mouse poisons.”
PC Gareth Jones, wildlife officer for North Yorkshire Police, quoted by BBC, said the use of rat and mouse poison was a "common problem", endangering the lives of red kites and other birds of prey.
"It is the responsibility of anyone who puts down poison to control rats and mice to collect the dead rodents and dispose of them properly," he said.
"It is a great shame that another red kite has been killed in North Yorkshire, particularly as they are an endangered species and have only recently returned to the county."
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact police.
Source: BBC News
Photo by Donald Macauley