Man Fined after Accidentally Shooting a Swan
A man has been given a hefty fine after killing a swan he thought was a goose in North Yorkshire last December. Simon Quince, the director of an electrical firm, was on a shoot with eight other people near Knaresborough when he made the error of accidentally shooting a juvenile mute swan, which are protected by British law. The injured bird was taken to a vet but had to be put down.
Mr. Quince has been fined £445 for shooting the swan and an extra £100 for using lead shot to shoot a bird. The 1999 Environmental Protection Regulations banned the shooting of swans, ducks, geese and certain other birds with lead shot. The aim was to protect rare birds that ingest stray shot with the grit they swallow to aid digestion.