• Parrots
  • Poultry
  • Birds of Prey
  • Pigeons
  • Passerine
  • Bird Accessories and feed
  • Game Birds
  • Wading birds
  • Sea Birds
  • Other birds
  • More
    All Categories
    • All Categories
    • Parrots
    • Poultry
    • Birds of Prey
    • Pigeons
    • Passerine
    • Bird Accessories and feed
    • Game Birds
    • Wading birds
    • Sea Birds
    • Other birds
    • Events
    • Services
    • Other Animals

    Irish Woman Left Brain Damaged By Parrot Fever

    NewsParrot NewsFriday 01 July 2011
    Share:

    An Irish woman who contracted a rare brain disease from parrots in a pet shop has won a damages case for 7.5 million euros. 22 year-old Patricia Ingle became ill whilst working in a Limerick pet shop alongside parrots, where it is thought she contracted the rare form of meningitis known scientifically as “chlamydia psittacosis” or parrot fever. She contracted the debilitating illness by breathing in dust from parrot faeces at the pet shop, where she worked from 2007 until 2008. Her lawyers said staff were not provided with gloves or masks and the parrots were not screened off. She began to suffer headaches and vomiting on August 12 2008, and sadly, by September 3 was voiceless and paralysed with irreversible brain damage. She sued the Petmania petshop and also the Health and Safety Executive for failing to diagnose her in time. Sadly she is known an inpatient at the Mid Western Regional Hospital where she is on a ventilator and has to be tube fed.

    News
    Subscribe to our newsletter
    //