• Parrots
  • Poultry
  • Birds of Prey
  • Pigeons
  • Passerine
  • Bird Accessories and feed
  • Game Birds
  • Wading birds
  • Sea Birds
  • Other birds
  • More
    All Categories
    • All Categories
    • Parrots
    • Poultry
    • Birds of Prey
    • Pigeons
    • Passerine
    • Bird Accessories and feed
    • Game Birds
    • Wading birds
    • Sea Birds
    • Other birds
    • Events
    • Services
    • Other Animals

    ‘He saved my life’: Hero bird dies rescuing owner from house fire

    NewsBird NewsFriday 08 February 2013
    Share:

    Cookie, a pet parrot in Llanelli, South Wales, has been lauded a hero after he died saving his teenage owner from a house fire. 

    The cockatiel (similar to the one pictured) flew into the bathroom, where Ben Rees was having a shower, to alert 
    his 17-year-old owner that a fire had broken out in his bedroom. 
     
    The bird did this by squawking and ‘dive-bombing’ him and thanks to Cookie, Ben managed to escape the blaze and call for help. 
     
    However, Cookie was not so fortunate. Sadly, the bird couldn’t get out in time and perished in the fire.
     
    Speaking to the Daily Mail, Ben’s mother, Vicky Rees, 48, said: 'He was Ben's guardian angel - he's a hero and he died a hero.
     
    'Cookie sensed danger and seemed to know that Ben hadn't realised his bedroom was on fire.
     
    'If he hadn't squawked and flapped like that I'm sure Ben would have died in there too.'
     
    Ben was at home on his own, when he lit an incense stick in his bedroom before having a shower. 
     
    But it was the embers from the incense stick that set fire to his bed, then the flames began toi engulf his bedroom. 
     
    Thankfully for Ben, Cookie, whose perch was in Ben’s bedroom, was alarmed by the smoke and began to squawk loudly. 
     
    The bird then made his way into the bathroom and repeatedly ‘dive-bombed’ his owner convincing him that something was wrong. 
     
    Although bricklaying and plastering student Ben tried to put some previous fire safety training into action, he was unable to put out the flames and fled the house.
     
    He was given oxygen by firefighters at the scene and treated for shock.
     
    Fire crews managed to stop the flames from spreading throughout the family home.
     
    Ben's mother Vicky added: 'Thank goodness Cookie went to look for Ben - a few moments longer and he would have been trapped in the bathroom.
     
    'It is so sad that Cookie didn't make it out alive - we will never forget what he did.'
     
    The bird was buried by the grateful family today in the garden of their home.
     
    Ben said: 'I'm heartbroken at losing my pet - he saved my life.'
     
     
    News
    Subscribe to our newsletter
    //