Teaching a Parrot to Wave
If you want to train a parrot then you shouldn’t have too much difficulty as parrots are extremely intelligent and can be taught a range of different tricks. If you work hard with your parrot you can build up a great bond. %%AFC-ADVERT%%
You should never punish your parrot during training if he disobeys your commands. You must teach a parrot in small steps, be patient and keep teaching to make sure he retains all of the information.
Train a Parrot – The Easy Way
1. If your parrot has some habits which you think are cute and you want your parrot to repeat this behaviour then you should become excited each time you see your parrot doing it and name the behaviour.
2. An important part of how to train a parrot is knowing how they learn. Parrots are quite visual birds so it sometimes helps to have a hand cue to support the verbal instructions. Over time you will notice that your parrot begins to associate the hand gesture with the behaviour.
3. If you want to teach a parrot to wave you will need a T-stand. If you do not have one they are easy enough to make with two dowels and a square block of wood.
4. Drill a hole in the block of wood for the upright and then another hole in the crosspiece. Then you can simply slot the cross piece onto the upright.
5. Allow your parrot to become accustomed to the T-stand, it is important that you reward your parrot if he stays on the stand with a treat. Grapes work really well as treats for parrots. If your parrot is particularly small then you can treat them with grapes cut into little sections.
6. Once your parrot feels secure and safe on the T-stand you can begin the training for waving.
7. Wave your right hand or forefinger to encourage your parrot to step up.
8. The second that your parrot lifts up his leg you should say “wave” then praise him and feed him a grape.
9. After giving him a grape you will find that you have your parrot’s attention. Now you can keep practicing without actually letting your parrot step up onto the T-stand.
10. The goal now is to have your parrot lift his leg up as high as possible so that it is an obvious wave.
11. Keep practicing with the verbal command and hand movement, gradually switch to just using the hand motion and your parrot should wave on demand.
You can find thousands of parrots for sale here!