Parrotlet Diet Information
Parrotlets are known as miniature parrots and rightly so as they really live up to the reputation of Parrots twice or three times their size. If you are considering buying Parrotlets for sale then this article will give you some advice on feeding and dietary requirements of Parrotlets.
Parrotlets are playful and energetic little birds with massive personalities. You will find these birds are very sociable and like to live with another Parrotlet more than being alone. If you choose to buy more than one Parrotlet you will find they bond more with each other than they do with you. A Parrotlet can live up to 20 years with the correct well balanced diet to keep in shape and good health.
- Parrotlets need to have a variety of foods so they gain the proper balance of vitamins and minerals.
- Do not feed Parrotlets parakeet seed because it will not provide them with enough nutrients.
- Cockatiel seed can be used to feed Parrotlets but you must make sure that it contains sunflower seeds.
- Millet spray is a favourite of Parrotlets but you should only give your Parrots this once a week or they might refuse to eat anything else.
- Parrotlets also love to eat fruit and should have fresh fruit treats daily. Apples, bananas, grapes, peaches and berries are their favourites.
- Never feed Parrotlets avocado. All other fruits are safe but you should only feed Parrotlets citrus fruits once a week.
- You also need to provide your Parrotlet with vegetables. Parrotlets enjoy Brussels sprouts, squash, potatoes and radishes.
- Parrotlets also enjoy greens such as spinach, carrot tops and dandelion greens.
- You shouldn’t feed your Parrotlet lettuce as it is made mainly of water and should be avoided.
- You need to be careful with the fruit and vegetables you feed Parrotlets because they can have chemicals on them. Make sure you wash them well or buy organic produce.
- You will also need to give your Parrotlet some grains as part of their diet. Cooked oatmeal, steamed rice and whole wheat bread are good options.
- Nuts and seeds should be fed to Parrotlets several times a week so that they get enough protein.
Browse Parrotlets for sale on Bird Trader.