Kookaburras are a large bird breed originating from Australia. They are well known for their call which sounds like laughter. To learn more about the kookaburra bird, see the following facts.
%%AFC-ADVERT%%• Kookaburras are carnivorous creatures, eating snakes, lizards and even other birds.
• At twilight, the kookaburra makes long and loud calls that sound a lot like human laughter. This is a territorial mechanism to warn others to stay away.
• The kookaburra is the largest type of kingfisher bird.
• Kookaburras mate for life and live as couples either on their own, or with others.
• Kookaburra chicks are born blind and featherless. Feathers grow after a month.
• Older chicks help their parents with their next clutch of eggs.
• Kookaburras grow to be about 47cm long and weigh around 5kg.
• Kookaburras never need to drink water, as they get all their required moisture in their food.
• The kookaburra normally nests in hollow trees or termite mounds.