Keeping Chickens: Top Tips
Keeping chickens is a pastime that has died out over the years but more and more people are deciding to return to chicken keeping either as a hobby, as a way to get a supply of eggs or as a supply of meat. Either way, keeping chickens can be an excellent hobby for the whole family. Read on to find out some top tips when it comes to chicken keeping.
Chicken Keeping Tips
- One of the best pieces of chicken keeping advice is to build your own chicken coops. Not only can you design chicken coops to your own specification and to what you require but you can also save a substantial amount of money on something that is very simple to build. Our guide to Building Your Own Chicken Coops will be very helpful.
- Like all animals, when keeping chickens, you need to provide them with plenty of food and water. You can buy chicken feeders for sale, some of which are automatic and deposit a set amount of chicken feed. You can Make Your Own Chicken Feeder for very little cost. Similarly, you can save money by Making Your Own Chicken Waterer for use when keeping chickens.
- When keeping chickens, it is best to hang chicken feeders and chicken waterers from the roofs of chicken coops so that they are off the ground. This prevents the chicken feeders getting as dirty and also helps to keep chicken coops themselves cleaner.
- Keeping your chicken feed close to chicken coops will make the process of chicken keeping easier and quicker. Keep your chicken feed in a metal dustbin with a sealable lid to ensure moisture cannot spoil the chicken feed before you put it in the chicken feeders. Keeping it off the ground will help to prevent rodents getting to the chicken feed.
- Buying chicken feed, grit and straw etc in bulk will reduce costs and ensure that you have plenty of supplies at all times. Having a small shed to keep supplies in near to chicken coops will make keeping chickens much easier.
- Keeping chickens in chicken coops and sheds that have an electrical supply and a light means that you can essentially ‘trick’ the hens into laying eggs all year round.
- You can purchase many different varieties of chickens for sale here on Bird Trader.