How to Look After Golden Pheasants
If you’re looking for a striking breed of bird, few can rival the Golden pheasant in terms of exotic plumage. These birds are one of the tamest breeds of domesticated pheasant, and have been popular with bird enthusiasts for hundreds of years.
Learn more about how to care for Golden pheasants in the guide below.
Golden Pheasant: Care Tips
1. These elegant birds are more than happy to keep themselves entertained without the need for human intervention, so in terms of care, you only have to provide the basics – a secure comfortable living environment, and a regular food and water supply.
2. Golden pheasants will require plenty of space as they are fairly active birds, so it’s best to build or buy a pheasant coop or run where they will have more than enough room to roam. Despite its delicate appearance, the Golden pheasant is a hardy bird and will flourish through all sorts of weather conditions, even in the depths of winter, so as long as basic shelter is provided, these birds need little in the way of coop accessories.
3. The Golden pheasant owner should bear in mind that these birds can be aggressive within confined spaces, so the amount of birds to a cage needs to be thought out carefully. It’s generally best to avoid keeping too many hens to a cock, unless the cage has plenty of cover to minimise conflict occurring. In fact, you may have to make some adaptations to the cage during breeding season, as this can be a peak time for aggression.
4. During birthing season, mother Golden pheasants need to be monitored very carefully, as their behaviour can sometimes be tricky to predict. Strong maternal instincts can lead to some pheasants exhausting their young as they look for a safe haven in which to nest. It’s best not to disturb mother hens during this process.
5. Golden pheasant hens tend to lay 40-60 eggs a year, primarily between April and August. In order to maximise egg production during this time, it’s important to provide a protein rich diet and plenty of water, as a healthy balanced feeding programme will boost your chances of securing a high egg yield.
Find Golden pheasants for sale on Bird Trader