Getting a Bird to Eat Pellet Bird Food
Pellet bird food is generally considered to the healthiest food for birds. Pellet bird food can be specially manufactured to contain everything that the bird requires. This sort of pet bird food has it’s main problem however as the birds often only eat the parts that they like and leave the rest, meaning that the bird’s food has to be supplemented with other fresh fruits. %%AFC-ADVERT%%
Even considering these drawbacks, pellet bird food is the best type of bird food to ensure that they have continued food health. Some birds will eat pellet bird food without question while others will look at it with disgust. This guide outlines how to get your bird to eat pellet bird food.
Pellet Bird Food
- The majority of birds prefer corn and corn meal makes up most of pet bird food. Most birds love cornbread so a fantastic way of getting a fussy bird to eat pellet bird food is to bake it into cornbread. The first step is to take roughly half a cup of pellets and soak them in water so they swell up.
- Preheat your oven to 200ºC and put baking cups or a baking tray in there. to make the cornbread mix, you mix up eggs with the soggy pellets. Keep stirring the pellet bird food until they are completely broken up. The best cornbread for pet bird food requires a thick consistency so ignore the instructions on the cornbread mix to add water.
- Once you have combined the pellet bird food and the cornbread mixture, spoon it into the baking cups that you have prepared. You can bake the cornbread for as long as you wish, as long as it doesn’t burn.
- Once the bread is cooked, take it out of the oven and let it cool before you serve it as bird food. The bird will slowly begin to get the taste of the pellet bird food and you can start to increase the make up of the regular pet bird food as you notice that more and more of it is being eaten and not being thrown all over the floor.
Tips & Advice
- You can add other things to the cornbread such as oats, nuts or dried fruit to make it an even nicer food for birds. You can vary the texture of the pet bird food by giving pieces of the cornbread or crumbling it up.
- A good way of enjoying time together with your bird is to eat together. It is important however never to starve your bird into eating pellet bird food. Also, make sure the cornbread is thoroughly cooked to ensure that you don’t burn your bird.