ArticleThursday 09 December 2010
There are so many things you can learn about the emu and this article will give you some information on how emus look and live.
- The emu is the largest bird in Australia.
- The Ostrich is the only bird in the world that is bigger than the emu.
- Emus have two sets of eyelids.
- The emu has a long neck, sharp beak and small ears.
- The emu has three toes on each foot; one toe on each foot has a long fighting talon.
- Emu feathers have a double shaft, are light brown and have darker brown tips.
- Emus can vary quite a lot in height and can grow between 5 and 6.5 feet tall.
- Male emu birds make grunting pig like noises while the females make a loud booming sound.
- Originally there were three different types of emu but there is now only one due to hunting for meat and feathers.
Where do Emus Live?
- Emus are only found in the wild in Australia.
- Emus can live in most areas but they will avoid dense forest, harsh desert and highly populated regions.
- The ancestors of emus were Dromornithids which were alive at the time of the dinosaurs.
Emu Family Biology
- Emus are flightless birds in the Ratites family.
- Other Ratites are the ostrich, kiwi and rhea.
- Emus have tiny wings which are hidden beneath their feathers. The wings are not used in flight but they hold them out for stability when running.
- Emus have to drink everyday to survive and never waste water.