Duck Band Questions
Ducks are banded for many reasons including monitoring wintering and breeding areas. The data which is gleaned from duck bands is essential for waterfowl management and research. It is the information on the duck band that allows researches to track an individual duck’s whereabouts to a flocks population, survival, productivity and social structure. If you want to learn more about duck bands then this article might answer a few of your questions. %%AFC-ADVERT%%
How Catch the Ducks to Band them?
- Using baited traps is the most common way of catching ducks for banding.
- Diving ducks are unable to fly when they are malting and can be herded into drive traps.
- Wood ducks can be caught using nest boxes.
- Swim in traps or rocket nets are used for catching Wintering ducks.
Double Duck Bands – Why are they used?
- All ducks that are banded will have an aluminium leg band.
- If a duck has an additional band it will be a band that is colour coded for ease of checking at a distance.