Control Your Squawking Bird
All pet birds will make noise at some point. If your bird is constantly squawking however, something is wrong. The bird noise may be habitual and for no apparent reason, if this is the case, behaviour modification may be the answer to the bird squawking. One of the easiest ways to cut down on the bird noises is by providing the bird with lots of attention and psychological enrichment. This guide outlines how to stop a bird squawking. %%AFC-ADVERT%%
How to Stop a Bird Squawking
- Your first step in stopping your bird squawking is to eliminate any potential health problems as these could be the cause of the incessant bird noises. Take your bird to a vet for a thorough check up.
- Try to avoid as much stress as possible for the bird as this can lead to excessive bird noise. Try to stay calm around them and avoid loud noises. One thing sure to stress the bird is if a cat can see him and stare at him. You can try to stop the bird squawking by moving its cage to another room where he can’t see out of the windows at people walking past.
- Once you have ruled out health problems and stress related issues, you can start to address the bird noises. The first step is to completely ignore the bird squawking. Stay in the room but continue doing exactly what you are doing until the bird is quiet.
- When the bird noises have stopped for a while, give the bird plenty of attention and treats so that it knows if it stays quiet, it will be rewarded. You can give the bird its favourite toy to play with. Try to avoid being loud with the rewards as this may encourage the bird to join in.
- Bird noises are completely natural for a bird so it is important that they are allowed to make noise at certain times. Encouraging the bird to sing by singing yourself is a good way of allowing the bird to make noise. If the bird is making lots of noise without being encouraged, ignore it but reward bird squawking when he is encouraged to.
- Clicker training can be a very good way of controlling bird noises. Encouraging the bird to do tricks or other behaviours is a good way for the bird to get your attention without squawking.
- When you are trying to control bird squawking, it is important not to get angry with the bird and hit it or the cage. This will only make the bird noise worse.