Chicken Feed Advice
When it comes to feeding chickens, choosing the correct type of chicken feed is important as it is the primary decider in the overall health of the chicken (as well as chicken coops).Chicken feeding can also be quite tricky as it can be hard to tell what sorts of chicken feed make up a nutritious diet for feeding chickens. To complicate things further, there are options such as organic chicken feed which can be bought. Read on to find out more about chicken feed.%%AFC-ADVERT%%
Feeding Chickens – Buying Chicken Feed
- It sounds simple but you should be feeding chickens the correct chicken feed for the type of flock that you have. A lot of chicken feed types are designed for specific chickens. Chicken feed can be separated by age or by type and purpose (such as broiler or egg-laying). Feeding chickens breed specific chicken feed is also possible. You chicken feed shop will be able to help you out when it comes to choosing what you should be feeding chickens.
- In general you should be feeding chickens whole grains such as oats, wheat or barley etc. Soybeans, bone meal and fish based chicken feed provide a good source of protein. When feeding chickens, you should also supplement the chicken feed with a good source of vitamins and minerals, this can come in the form of fruits and vegetables or specific chicken feed supplements. Organic chicken feed is available in this form.
- To save money, buy chicken feed in large quantities, feeding chickens daily will soon make a dent in you supplies and as long as chicken feed is kept dry, you can use it for feeding chickens for a while.
- When feeding chickens, especially if they are not kept outside, you will need to give them scratch grain with their chicken feed to keep their digestive system healthy. This is not such a problem if your chicken feeding takes place outside or in a chicken coop. You can also mix your own chicken feed and feeding chickens with this can provide good results. Soy is a good source of protein and fat while fish oil provides vitamins A and D, yeast provides vitamin B and fish meal is an excellent source of minerals.
- When feeding chicks, they will need a special starter mix. This special chicken feed can sell out quickly so buy it early to feed to your chickens.
- There are plenty of places that sell chicken feed such as country stores, grain mills and farms. Remember that organic chicken feed will cost more than the standard chicken feed used for feeding chickens.
- For more information on the types of feed used for chicken feeding, refer to our guide about Types of Chicken Feed.