Building Macaw Flight Cages
Because macaws are so large, they need plenty of space in which they can properly stretch their wings. The parrot cage that it lives in needs to be large enough to do this but adding extra macaw cages in your garden can give the bird somewhere to spend the summer days. Building a macaw cage may seem like quite a big undertaking but it doesn’t have to be. This guide outlines how to add extra macaw and parrot cages into your back garden. %%AFC-ADVERT%%
How to Build a Macaw Cage
- A wire dog pen can make an excellent macaw cage with only small modifications. You should begin by building the dog pen where you would like to position the parrot cage in your garden. Most dog pens should come with comprehensive instructions.
- Make sure that all the bolts are done up securely and make sure that the dog run is on level ground. All macaw cages should have a means of providing shade for the bird. A lot of dog pens will include a sun shade so attach this and make sure that it is securely fastened. If you know that your bird likes to chew things, consider using metal cable ties instead of plastic ones to secure the sun shade.
- Before you put the parrot in his new parrot cage, make sure that you wash it down completely with soapy water and allow it to air dry.
- You will want to add things to keep the macaw cages interesting to their inhabitants so make sure there is a variety of perches, toys, and most importantly, ample food and water. Depending on the size of the macaw cage, you could add some foliage to make it even more stimulating.
- Make sure that the bird cannot open the latch of the parrot cage himself, a nickel or steel plated chain is a must, as well as some sort of decent latch. Parrots are excellent problem solvers so make it as secure as possible. Always double check the door when the bird is in parrot cage.
- With regards to using parrot cages, never leave the bird in there while you are away for any extended amount of time. Don’t place the flight cage in the direct sunlight as macaws can easily overheat. Make sure there is always available shade.
- You will want to make the macaw cage as big as you possible can to allow the bird the maximum amount of exercise and therefore happiness.