Building a Bird Nesting Box
A bird nest box is a fantastic way to encourage birds into your garden. Different birds like different sizes of bird nesting box so knowing what types of birds like which size is important. This guide outlines how to build nest boxes of the perfect size to attract the most different types of birds. %%AFC-ADVERT%%
Build Nest Boxes
- Building a bamboo nest box is quite simple. Bamboo is used because it is one of the most environmentally friendly woods available on the market. The bird nesting box will need to large enough to house a family of birds. This guide used the basic sizes of wood but you can research specific sizes for specific birds.
- This bird nesting box requires 2 x 5 ¼” wood for the floor and the roof and 4 x 10” bits of wood for the walls. Wood glue is a perfectly adequate way to build nest boxes. Start to build the bird nesting box by gluing the pieces of wood together so that it begins to resemble a show box. Nails and screws are also perfectly adequate ways of attaching all the pieces of wood together.
- It is now time to mount the bird nest box somewhere. You could use a metal or wooden post in an open and grassy area. Tree trunks or walls are also a good place to attach the bamboo nest box to. A bird nesting box should be placed 4-6ft from the ground.
- Cats are the one of the biggest killers of small birds so it is important to try and make sure that cats cannot get to the bird nesting box.
- It may take a while for a bird to find the bamboo nest and move in so keep an eye out for them. There are certain things that can be done to encourage the birds to use the bird nest box such as putting bird seed into the garden or putting the bird nesting box in the safest place possible in terms of protection from predators.
- By doing some research you will be able to find the correct dimensions for the bird nest box and also the best way to attract specific birds to it.