Build Your Own Bird Jungle Gym
A jungle gym is an excellent way to provide a place for your bird to exercise and to stay mentally stimulated; they are also excellent ways for bird and owner to spend time together. An indoor jungle gym or a jungle gym outdoor helps to reduce various undesirable cage related behaviours such as excessive squawking, aggression or any compulsive disorders. A jungle gym can be quite expensive however to buy, designing your own jungle gym is an excellent way to save money and tailor the equipment such as the jungle gym slide and jungle gym climbing ropes to your bird’s specific needs. This guide outlines how to build your own jungle gym. %%AFC-ADVERT%%
Building Your Jungle Gym
- One of the main materials you will be using for your jungle gym is PVC pipe. It is suitable for an indoor jungle gym or a jungle gym outdoors as it is weather resistant and strong enough to take punishment from the bird.
- The PVC pipes are put together to make the jungle gym however it needs to be. Once you have a basic frame, you can screw down non-toxic branches for perches and use rope or fabric to make the jungle gym climbing facilities.
- Before you start building the jungle gym you will need to draw it out, this ensures that you have all the correct materials and that the jungle gym ‘works’. Make sure to include measurements for things such as the jungle gym slide or any jungle gym climbing equipment.
- You should be able to get all the materials you require from any good hardware store. Make sure that you buy enough PVC elbows for all the joins and that you buy the correct cement to piece them together. It is probably best to buy a little extra of all the equipment. Rope and tree branches make excellent perches.
- When you are making the jungle gym, label all the separate pieces as you go so that you can easily replace any pieces that go wrong. Make sure that the PVC cement has properly set before you start drilling holes and applying the rope or the branches. If the jungle gym is indoors then these will not present any issues but if the jungle gym is outdoors, these may rot over time and need replacing.
- To make the jungle gym more exciting for the bird, you could a jungle gym slide or jungle gym climbing ladders as well as things such as food and water bowls or toys.