Bird Accessories: Toys and Perches
There are so many bird accessories that you might not know what to buy. You could always make your own accessories for birds as they always enjoy toys and perches to keep them entertained. This article will teach you how to make your own cage bird accessories and toys. %%AFC-ADVERT%%
Accessories for Birds – Top Tips
• Before beginning to make bird accessories and toys you should consider the size and weight of your bird. It is important, for example, that you make larger and sturdier toys for your macaw and smaller toys for your parakeet.
• If you have a large bird then its beak is much more destructive and will be able to snap or chew through a piece of wood in no time.
• When thinking about what to make your bird accessories out of you should remember to only use untreated and natural materials. If you are going to use beads then make sure that they are big enough that your bird cannot swallow or choke on them.
• If you are using wood then choose soft woods to make your accessories for birds such as elm, fir or apple wood. If you use a harder wood then you are increasing the chances of splintering.
• When hanging your cage bird accessories you should use stainless steel hooks. Avoid anything zinc plated or galvanised because they can be harmful if your bird ingests them.
• Monitor your bird accessories closely once they are inside the cage. If rope frays then you should trim it and any damaged toys should be removed if they are hazardous.