10 Call Duck Facts
1. The Call Duck is categorised as a bantam breed of duck that is kept mainly as a pet.
2. The Call Duck has a distinctively high-pitched call that can be heard from a log distance.
3. The name comes from a Dutch word, “kooi”, which means “trap”. Hunters used to use these ducks to lure wild ducks and trap them, hence their given name.
4. Despite their Dutch history, it is widely believed that these ducks originally came from Japan.
5. The ancestry of the Call Duck can be traced back to the Mallard duck, despite breeding changes.
6. Call Ducks are known for being extremely vocal and are very loud creatures.
7. These birds are also very easy to tame and take care of themselves, as long as they are given food and water.
8. There are 10 standard Call Duck colours available: apricot, bibbed, black, blue, white, silver, pied, mallard, magpie, dark silver and fawn.
9. The Call Duck was introduced in Britain in the 1850s.
10. The average Call Duck weighs a mere 0.68kg