Pet Birds Lice Prevention Guide
Birds have a number of ways of dealing with the problem of lice in the wild. However, pet birds are not so lucky and require the help of us humans to prevent them falling victim to them. To give the best bird care, you need to ensure that when you buy birds you are fully prepared for such eventualities. Find out how you can avoid serious bird health issues from lice with this guide.
Pet Birds Lice
• Before you buy birds it’s a good idea to see how vulnerable certain breeds are to lice. Certain kinds are much more susceptible to them than others so choosing pet birds that do not easily get lice is advisable.
• Place a separate bowl of water to the pet birds drinking water. Your bird should splash around in this and get washed. After this they will preen feathers and spread natural oils in their plumage which forms natural protection against the lice. You could also spray some water on your bird as an alternative which will make him preen in the same way.
• Put a dish of sand in your bird cage so that your bird can dust himself with it. Although this will cause some mess in your house, it provides great bird care and is totally worth it.
• Always keep your bird cage clean by removing droppings so that insects are not tempted into it. This also stops bacteria from being picked up by pet birds.
• Commercial lice sprays are also available to be used on pet birds. However, you should only use these as a last resort as the chemicals involved can be harmful if they get into the eyes of a bird or other sensitive areas. If you do use these, cover the bird’s head when spraying.