How to Prevent Lice in Pet Birds
In the wild, birds have ways of dealing with lice which can cause many problems in feathers. Pet birds can fall victim to some serious health issues if they get lice. This means to provide the best bird care when you buy birds you should take steps to prevent lice from occurring in the first place. Follow these tips to have a lice free bird.
• Before you buy birds it is always worth seeing how vulnerable certain breeds are when it comes to lice. Certain types will be much more prone to them than others. Choosing pet birds of a breed that does not typically get lice will make life much easier from the start.
• Put a dish of sand in your bird cage so that your bird can dust himself with it. Although this will cause some mess in your house, it provides great bird care and is totally worth it.
• Place a separate bowl of water to the pet birds drinking water. Your bird should splash around in this and get washed. After this they will preen feathers and spread natural oils in their plumage which forms natural protection against the lice. You could also spray some water on your bird as an alternative which will make him preen in the same way.
• Commercial lice sprays are also available to be used on pet birds. However, you should only use these as a last resort as the chemicals involved can be harmful if they get into the eyes of a bird or other sensitive areas. If you do use these, cover the bird’s head when spraying.
• Always keep your bird cage clean by removing droppings so that insects are not tempted into it. This also stops bacteria from being picked up by pet birds.